How to add a count function to measures

Yes, DISTINCT COUNT would be very useful.
We have a requirement where we need a distinct count of employees who are active across multiple pay periods.

1 Like

Hi Riaz, will the count feature allow for distinct count as well as total count?

Thanks,
Mike-

Hi Riaz,

A call would be great.

1 Like

Try creating a measure with the Expressions “Trans” and “Count”. Captured these during a presentation. I asked where we could find these “Key Words” but never received a reply. Hopefully this will help someone in the future.

Try creating a measure with the Expressions “Trans” and “Count”. Captured these during a presentation. I asked where we could find these “Key Words” but never received a reply. Hopefully this will help someone in the future.

I found the documentation:
https://helpphocassoftware.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/userdoc/pages/590327/Reserved+words+and+characters

This is one i would be glad to see also

Hi Riasat - Are there plans to add count functionality to other Mode configurations, like Variance? It would be useful to be able to see counts on a property by dimension when specific conditions are met.

For example, I would like to see the number of customers, by location, where Sales are down (or up) over a specific amount in a given defined period. This could be expressed in $ or %. A more specific example would be: I want to see the count of customers by Region, who Sales are down by more than 25% year over year.

1 Like

Hi Riasat,

I have noticed that recently this function was made available in Period mode. That is a great feature brought in the new release and we have already implemented it in many reports.

Is the count measure going to be available to be used in custom measures or for calculations in custom mode? Some of our reporting is based on average number of packs purchased per customer in a region. This is where the count of distinct customers would need to be used in calculations (total sales in the region / total number of distinct customers). It would be great to know what else is on the cards regarding this feature.

1 Like

Great to hear the capabilities will grow in time. Looking forward to the updates!

Hi @Riasat ,
I sent you an email earlier this week but not heard back, would be grateful if @DBragg could check on their system too. I discovered an oddity when combining Standard measures with the count option.

Using our sales db, I have chosen the following setup, total mode, looking at branches with total units sent:

Key takeaway is the total being 6,100,296. Now when I add count of customers I get this:

Notice that the total units shipped is now 13,610,818, the count is correct but standard measures are much higher. Does anyone else have this or is it unique issue to our setup up?

Look forward to any response as this has been announced to my clients 250 users and may need to retract this from use.

Jon

Hi Jon,

I only saw your post now. I just ran a similar query in our database in total mode (units, then units and count of customers) and got the same total units both times. This error is not affecting us, at least at the first glance - I have only checked one database so far.

I found a different issue with the count measure, @Riasat, When running a report with “Exclude Selections” filter on (i.e. != operator), if you switch to count mode, the “not equal to” turns into “equal to”:

1. Running a report for units sold outside Scotland (country != Scotland) for territory dimension (i.e. different dimension to where the filter is applied)
  2. Switching to count customers measure
  3. Now the report is showing customers only in Scotland, but the filter description is still showing country != Scotland

@JonKemp I would be interested to see if you are experiencing this issue as well.

Thanks,

Dorota

Hi @DBragg,

Sorry for the delay. I tried a similar option, I clicked on exclude France, then did a count of customer and it stated:

But I do recall having a similar issue a while ago where the exclude became include. It may have now been turned off by Phocas perhaps?

Regards,

Jon

Hi @Rissat,

Has there been any further updates to this?
I’m getting the count does not support this configuration yet error when turning a table that uses a count measure into a chart

Thanks.