Freight Tracking and Auditing

Freight is a big issue in distribution. Everything from postage, LTL, special order (UPS, Fedex, USPS), RGAs, etc. is buckled in eclipse into two GL buckets:

Freight In
Freight Out

Is there a way for me to look at both these items from the AP side to see what is being paid out and the Sales side to see what is billed to a customer… I would like a way to matrix or look at specific dimensions like branches, writers, etc. to see where the offending people or categories are.

The data is spread out it seems and tracking manually order by order is tough… looking for a more “simplistic” solution to pinpoint the issues. Let me know if you have any thoughts.

Jderosa,

Agreed, freight is a huge issue in distribution and difficult to track. We have made significant headway in this area from a reporting and tracking standpoint. It requires some work in Eclipse and Phocas to setup but it is good step in the right direction. Contact me if you would like discuss in greater detail as I am happy to share what we’ve done and you can determine if it is of help to you.

1 Like

Dennis I sent you an email. Thanks!

James,

Good morning!

After much investigation and trial and error, we accomplished what we wanted with the following steps:

1. Modify the Eclipse GL Auto Postings to post freight transactions into separate GL accounts according to what happens. (expensed on a SO, billed on a SO, PO freight in and etc)
  2. Add new Shipping and Handling section to the Operating Expense section of the Income Statement (reflecting the GL accounts that the updated auto postings are now posting to)
  3. Created a Phocas dashboard using the GL/Financials database that displays the GL account amounts and used the custom mode to do the math and display the results.

See attachments for reference.

Happy to jump on a call and discuss in detail.

Have a great day!

Eastern%20MTD%20Freight%20Oper%20Exp%20section%20of%20IS

2 Likes

Interesting way to approach this and I would like to dive into this more. Let me chew on this for a minute with some internal folks on my end, but this is a great start. Thanks for coming up with this information for me. Very much appreciated.

James,

I hope this helps and I’m glad to hop on the phone and have a detailed conversation if needed!

This email and any files transmitted with it are privileged, confidential, and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the system manager. This message contains privileged and confidential information and is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. If you are not the intended recipient you are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited.