Lock Dashboard Layout option for users who have Manage Dashboards selected in Permissions

Issue; if a user has Manage Dashboards selected in permissions and the user wishes to use the dashboard as it is, they are in great danger of accidently restructuring the order and layout of the dashboard, especially if they are using a touch sensitive screen or tablet, as the Widget ‘move’ and ‘resize’ controls are always available.

Suggestion; Can an additional control be added to the User Profile page that would allow a user with ‘Manage Dashboard’ permission to be able to turn this off (and back on) when it is required.

An additional option (but not so critical) would be to have a waring message when the user has enabled this option.

Yeah my boss keeps moving widgets on my dashboards by accident when he accesses them from his iPad. Would be a great little tweak!

Thanks for your suggestion @david.mciver. With the recent improvement which allows the editing of dashboards on mobile devices, this could now be a common problem. I’ve logged it in our system as a potential future improvement.

A current workaround would be to view the embed version of the dashboard (by clicking the </> icon). It displays an un-editable view of the dashboard.

Thanks Will, I have checked out your suggestion and it works perfectly but this still relies on the user remembering to switch to the embedded mode before swiping and messing up the dashboard.

Is it possible to make the default view to be ‘embedded’. This would get around the issue very simply as there would be no need for the additional permissions that I was suggesting. Users with the ‘Manage Dashboard’ permissions set could simply click full view to change to editable mode.

@david.mciver it’s currently not possible to make embedded the default view. I think having separate view and edit modes is the way to go.