Need Help W Bar Graph (Month Over Month Variance 2023 v 2022)

As the title states, I need some help focusing on a segment of the business and showing as a bar graph. The sales rep wants to analyze month by month sales this year over last year. Currently using a custom date range by month, this year over last year but using the Period Variance mode, it will not break it down by month but instead, just show the total for the entire year. There has to be a way for the graph to show each month, this year vs last year.

You can see I’m trying to focus on 4 segments of a particular business. The custom date range of month, this year versus last

with the results just showing year over year

When viewing the data in ‘Grid’ mode, it shows correctly. I’d like to be able to bring that across to ‘Graph’ mode.

Hi @wdavis ,

I think the issue is the “x” series is grouped by Subclasses rather than time. I had similar challenges, I needed to create a date dimension on the DB which would then swap out the “x” series to being time, however that wont give you precisely what you are after. As a quick win, have you considered Bullet charts using variance mode? they would overlay current vs previous. These are my go to charts for comparisions.

Regards,

Jon

Thank you for the quick reply. I have not considered Bullet charts and now I’m wondering why I don’t have that as an available chart…

You need to select “Variance” mode not “period variance”. For year on year comparision set your date range to be :

Doesnt have to be a custom date range, just shown as illustration of current and previous date ranges for it to work.

Regards,

Jon

I think if you were to add ‘month’ as a pillar you could then do a matrix variance. This would then show the month across the bottom with a variance between your date ranges. The only downside is that it would total up your ‘subclass code’

The below example is some activity by hour for a monthly date range. As you can see it’s showing my 3 selections as 1 total.