Visibility of Activities in CRM

We’re just in the beginning stages of using CRM, but one item we would like to see is the ability to control the visibility of activities, probably by “team”. In this case in particular we’re going to have our collection department using CRM to record their activities and notes with the customers. We would limit these activities to be only visible to the collections department, and not have these notes visible to the sales team.

1 Like

Hi Aaron,

We’ve recently introduced a number of enhancements in relation to CRM, one of which was the introduction of CRM restrictions, which mirrors the traditional restrictions used on a normal Phocas database in being able to control what a user will see.

https://help.phocassoftware.com/display/userdoc/User+access+and+restrictions+in+CRM

Please let me know if this doesn’t quite achieve what you’re after?

Unless I’m missing something, this doesn’t quite get as granular as we looking for. Let me try to explain a little better:

For an example, lets use an account “ABC Company”
I have a collections office, “Joe Credit”
I have a sales rep, “Jane Sales”.

ABC Company belongs to Jane Sales, so she needs access to the company, it’s contacts, and it’s activities.

Joe Credit is the collections officer assigned to ABC Company. Joe needs to go into CRM and record his collection related notes and activities, however we do not want Jane Sales to see these collection related activities.

I don’t believe this is possible with the current restrictions.

I can control access to the entire account via owner/team/territory/etc, but it’s all or nothing access to that account.

What I’d like is to make activities available to members of the same team. So, if Joe Credit is a member of the “Collections” team, I’d like him to be able to enter activities only viewable to other members of the “Collections” team (or users with no restrictions).

Does that make sense?

Did this ever get resolved? It seems to me like what @aaron.roma is asking for is similar to permissions for users to view certain properties and measures within other databases, like gross margin % within a sales database. Or assigning certain streams.

I’d agree with this.

We’d like field level control too, whether full read/write, read only or not visible.

It can get messy when you have to start managing permissions like this so it needs to be carefully implemented though, ideally through a role based structure.

Hi @aaron.roma, @tim.janes and @StuartH,

Is the issue one of confidentiality or is it more a concern about quickly filtering out the “noise” ? Would an account owner not need to know all the activity against their accounts?
The security at the moment is based on account ownership - if you can view & edit the account, you can also see all related activity. How would you feel if we enhanced the activity lists with filters such as “created by my team” or “created by me” rather than locking the access down?

In my requirement we might want to record Credit Control activities that may have a greater sensitivity, equally there might be some comment about a Returns Request that may also need to be kept as internal only.

On the access permissions mentioned in my final comment, there are occasions we need to restrict whether a particular field is visible to users and if it is whether they can edit it or not. Are both of these covered in Phocas?

For us it’s a more of a confidentiality issue. Our sales staff should have visibility into the account, and most activities on the account. However the credit/collection activities and notes are typically only available to that department. We currently accomplish this within our ERP system by the use of secure notes. Collection activities are currently entered as a secure note. So only someone with the appropriate permissions (credit offices and management) are able to view those notes. We’re trying to move this activity over into CRM and off the ERP system.

1 Like