Create a rolling trailing 12 month summary

I’m trying to create something that seems pretty easy (in theory), but am having a hard time figuring out how to do it.

I am currently showing some sales data on a line chart. The sales peak in 2Q and 3Q and fairly flat in 1Q and 4Q. In order to smooth out the lines, my boss has asked to see the data on rolling trailing 12 month basis; so that the data point for January 2021 would be the sum of (Feb 2020 - Jan 21), February 2021 would be the sum of (Mar 2020 - Feb 2021), etc. I’m thinking it would be a custom period, but I’m having trouble setting it up. Any guidance is appreciated.

Hi @wpratt ,

I would suggest adding a Rolling 12 Month period in as a Defined Period on the database you’re using. You would need to be an administrator in order to do so. If you are, you can go to Administration → Databases. Click into the database you want to add the period to. Go to the “Defined Periods” tab. Click the “Add” button, then select the “Rolling 12 Months” period.

See how that goes!
Tim

1 Like

Very cool. Thanks Tim. I’ve only been with the company a few weeks so I’m not sure what level of admin access I actually have, but I’ll find out. Appreciate the help.

1 Like

Hi @wpratt , you should also be able to use the Moving mode in Phocas
Click on the mode button (typically displaying “Period” and change to “Moving”. This will give you a 12 month rolling.

1 Like

Fantastic! I knew there had to be a pain free way to accomplish this. Thank you for pointing it out for me.

Thank you!